A banana oat smoothie is good enough on its own, but this one is made even better by the addition of peanut butter butter and chia seeds. A nutritional breakfast bomb that will keep you satisfied until lunch.
I must admit I am a bit of a banana oat smoothie addict. There was a time when I would have it daily for over two months, that’s how much I liked this breakfast that’s ready in five minutes but packs a nutritional punch.
One day I decided to make some additions to the already delicious smoothie I used to make with just bananas, oats, and oat milk. So I added some peanut butter for that extra protein and a tablespoon of chia seeds for a bit more fibre and omega-3 fatty acids, not to mention the antioxidants.
What ingredients go into the banana oat smoothie?
To make this banana oat smoothie with peanut butter and chia seeds, you’ll need the following ingredients.
- Bananas — a medium-sized one would do, approximately 120 grams. You can use fresh or frozen bananas. I personally like the frozen ones in the summer, but for the winter season, I like to go with a very ripe fresh banana.
- Some good old fashioned porridge oats, the rolled kind. My favourite is the organic variety you can find at Holland and Barrets in the UK, but just any kind of porridge-style oats would work a treat.
- Oat milk — I have tried to make this smoothie with unsweetened almond milk, and it tastes great, but the oat milk really brings the whole thing together better. RudeHealth Oat Drink is the best I could find in the UK, but Alpro would do, too.
- Peanut butter — now being the experimental sort of girl, I must have legit made this smoothie with almost all the peanut butter types I could find in the UK. Two that I like best are Meridian Smooth Peanut Butter, which tastes great and isn’t made with palm oil, and the Whole Earth Smooth Peanut Butter, which is also palm oil-free and also organic. You can use crunchy peanut butter as well, but you might be left with some crunch in the smoothie, particularly if your blender is not very powerful.
- Chia seeds — a tablespoon of chia seeds provide fiber, iron, and calcium, while also being full of antioxidants and omega-3 fatty acids. It’s the boost your smoothie didn’t know it needed.
How do you make the smoothie?
As with any other smoothie, there’s not much to describe when it comes to preparing it. All you need to do is chuck everything into a blender, press a button and in a minute you’ll have a most delicious smoothie that you’ll want to make time and again.
- 1 medium banana, fresh or frozen
- 2 tbsps porridge oat
- 1 tbsp peanut butter, smooth or crunchy
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 300 ml oat milk
- Add all ingredients in the blender, with the oat milk last.
- Blend using the "smoothie" function or on manual for one minute.
Serving Size:1 Servings
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 301Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 1mgSodium: 54mgCarbohydrates: 52gFiber: 7gSugar: 20gProtein: 8g