Air fryer fish sticks are extra crispy and so much easier to make than baking them in the oven. You'll only be making frozen fish sticks in the air fryer once you try them!
I'm all about cooking wholesome meals from scratch, but there are days when I can't really be bothered to go near the kitchen.
Fortunately, it doesn't happen often, but whenever I don't feel like cooking, I somehow revert to craving things I used to love as a child.
Grilled cheese and fish sticks (or fish fingers as they're known in the UK) are the two top things I always go back to.
Since I've discovered that you can make frozen fish sticks in the air fryer, I've not been making them any other way.
That's because air fryer fish sticks are ridiculously easy to make, and I don't have to turn on the oven.
All you need is a pack of your favorite frozen fish fingers and an air fryer, and you can have a quick snack, lunch or even dinner on the table in 15 minutes.
There's no need for pre-heating the entire oven or faff about with parchment paper. The air fryer gives fish sticks a crunchy coating, and you need zero oil to cook them.
Why you'll love air fryer fish sticks
- You can have them ready in just 15 minutes - just great when the kids ask for them out of the blue.
- You don't need any oil or cooking spray - the hot circulating air generated by the air fryer makes them super crispy without any oil.
- There's no need to thaw the fish sticks - just remove them from the freezer and place them in a pre-heated air fryer.
What kind of fish sticks can you air fry?
There are multiple types of fish fingers out there, and all of them can be cooked in an air fryer.
Simply put, if it says they can go in the oven, they can safely go in the air fryer.
I personally like to make breaded fish sticks in the air fryer because the result is extra crispy and delicious.
Some fish fingers are chunkier than others, so you may need to adjust cooking times. Make sure you don't overdo it, though, as you want the fish to be succulent inside, not dry.
How to make fish fingers in air fryer
Preheat the air fryer at 400°C/200°F for 3 minutes.
Cook at 400°C/200°F for 8 minutes. Flip and continue to cook for another 4-5 minutes or until crispy to your likening.
You can take out a fish stick and test to see if it's not dry inside before deciding whether to cook for longer.
What to serve with fish sticks
You can also keep it simple and dip your crunchy air fried fish sticks in ketchup, BBQ sauce or mayo. They're pretty great with some air fryer fries, too.
For a more balanced meal, serve the air fryer fish fingers with a simple salad. Some lemon wedges are also a good idea.
Recipe notes and tips
- Make sure you don't overcrowd the air fryer basket. Always lay the fish sticks in a single layer. Work in batches if you're cooking for a crowd.
- It's not the end of the world if you don't flip the fish sticks - they will still be cooked and crispy, but the color might be a bit uneven.
- This recipe was tested in a 5.8 QT (5.5 L) air fryer. It comfortably fits 8 chunky fish sticks or 10 smaller ones without touching each other.
If you liked this air fryer fish sticks recipe, you might also like some of my other easy snack recipes:
- Air Fryer Zucchini Fries
- Air Fryer Gnocchi
- Healthier Oven Baked Meatballs
- Savory Muffins with Spinach, Sundried Tomatoes and Feta Cheese
- 8 frozen fish sticks
- Preheat the air fryer at 400°F/200°C for 3 minutes.
- Cook at 400°F/200°C for 8 minutes. Flip and continue to cook for another 4-5 minutes or until crispy to your likening.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 244Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 0.7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9.3gSodium: 307mgCarbohydrates: 24gFiber: 3gSugar: 4gProtein: 14g
Nutritional information is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator.