Have you been looking for recipes for vegan sausages? This vegan sausage pasta with kale is ready in 30 minutes and is full of creamy goodness. Bonus — your family might not even notice it’s vegan!
I have recently got my hands on a pack of vegan sausages and I instantly know what I wanted to do with them. This pasta and kale recipe is a favourite of mine and I usually make it with Italian sausage or sometimes with haggis.
So I thought I should give it a vegan makeover and see if I could make it taste the same. I’m happy to report that I did manage to trick people into thinking it was my old recipe, only with a different type of sausage, so if you’re looking for a vegan pasta kale sausage recipe that meat lovers will also like, you’ve just found it.
What do you need to make this pasta and kale recipe?
I used vegan sausages from Meatless Farm to make this recipe, but you can use any kind you like. I would advise against using something that’s too spicy because it can throw the flavours a bit. The plant-based sausages I used don’t contain soy, which I’m not really a fan of, but are made with pea protein instead. They do taste similar to traditional British pork sausage.
Besides vegan sausages, you will also need the following ingredients:
- Short pasta — I used fusilli, but penne or rigatoni would also be suitable for this recipe.
- Olive oil — just 1 tbsp is all you need
- Onions — you’ll need two medium onions, chopped. I make this recipe with red onions sometimes and I like it, so go for it if that’s what you have at hand.
- Garlic — you need three cloves of garlic, minced. You can also use frozen minced garlic if you want.
- 1 tsp sage
- 1 tsp Italian herbs
- 300 ml (1 1/4 cup) vegan stock — I used Marigold Vegan Bouillon Powder.
- 150 ml (3/4 cup) vegan cream alternative — this depends on what you can find in your country. For the UK, I like to use Oatly Organic Creamy Oat Single Cream.
- Two handfuls of kale — either curly kale or Cavolo Nero work just fine.
- Vegan Parmesan — this is optional to sprinkle over the pasta at the end. I used Violife – Prosociano, a vegan alternative to Parmesan cheese.
How do you make this vegan pasta recipe?
It only takes 30 minutes to have this vegan pasta with kale on the table. You start by boiling your favorite type of short pasta in salted water two minutes less than recommended on the package.
Slice the sausages and fry them in 1 tbsp of olive oil until brown and slightly crispy. Add a medium onion, chopped, and three cloves of garlic, minced. Cook for 2-3 minutes, then add 1 tsp sage and 1 tsp mixed Italian herbs. Add 300 ml (1 1/4 cup) vegan stock and simmer for 10 minutes.
Stir in 150 ml (3/4 cup) vegan double cream alternative and two handfuls of steamed kale. Cook for 1-2 minutes until the sauce thickens. Serve immediately, topped with vegan Parmesan if you like.
Can you freeze this vegan pasta with sausage?
Yes, this pasta would keep well in the freezer for up to a month. Freeze in an airtight container and reheat in the microwave without the lid to serve it. The kale will freeze just fine, but if it’s not leftovers you’re freezing, you can omit the kale and add it freshly steamed when you’re ready to serve.
What do you serve with this kale pasta?
I personally think this vegan pasta dish is fine on its own, but if you want a side dish that goes well with it, you can choose from:
- Rocket (arugula) salad with olive oil and lemon juice
- Garlic bread
- Grilled asparagus
- Roasted artichokes
If you liked this vegan sausage pasta with kale, have a look at some my other pasta creations:
Hungry for more? 😄 Follow Skinny Spatula on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest!
- 400 g (14 oz) fusilli (or other short pasta)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 400 g (14 oz) vegan sausages of choice
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- Kale, 2 handfuls
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp sage
- 1 tsp Italian herbs
- 300 ml (1 1/4 cup) vegan stock
- 150 ml (3/4 cup) vegan cream alternative
- 25 g (2 tbsp) vegan Parmesan (optional)
- Boil the pasta in salted water 2 minutes less than the instructions on the package.
- Meanwhile, slice the sausages and fry them in 1 tbsp of olive oil until brown and slightly crispy.
- Add the onion and garlic to the pan and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add 1 tsp sage and 1 tsp mixed Italian herbs and cook for another minute.
- Add 300 ml (1 1/4 cup) vegan stock and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the vegan cream alternative and two handfuls of steamed kale.
- Cook for 1-2 minutes until the sauce thickens. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Serve immediately, topped with vegan parmesan if you like.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 403Total Fat: 21gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 50mgSodium: 241mgCarbohydrates: 43gFiber: 3gSugar: 5gProtein: 12g
Nutritional information is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator.