Instant Pot chicken tortilla soup is hearty, delicious and the perfect fuss-free weeknight meal. It's also light and healthy and can be made with fresh or leftover rotisserie chicken.
Want to Save This Recipe?
Enter your email and I'll send it straight to your inbox. Plus, get great new recipes from me every week!
Tortilla soup is a delicious, slightly spicy and light meal that's warming and satisfying at the same time.
This Instant Pot chicken tortilla soup is a speedy version of this beloved soup and I personally love it because I can have it on the table in just a bit over half an hour.
The soup has just the perfect combination of chicken, spices, and vegetables. It's hearty, filling and so easy to make!
Just saute your aromatics in the Instant Pot, then throw in the rest of the ingredients and let it do its thing.
Chicken tortilla soup is also a great meal to make ahead of time. Simply make a big batch on the weekend and reheat it during the week. This will save you time and effort during those busy weeknights.
This is the perfect soup to make in the Instant Pot because it speeds things up, and cleaning is a breeze. However, you can also make it on the stovetop — instructions are at the end of the post.
Why you'll love this Instant Pot chicken tortilla soup
- Packed with flavor and super simple to make
- A great way to use up any leftover chicken you have on hand
- Very easy to make your own by playing with spices or adding more of your favorite veggies
What goes into chicken tortilla soup
Olive oil — You'll need a tablespoon of olive oil to saute the veggies and aromatics in for extra flavor. Canola oil or avocado oil also work well here.
Onion — Yellow or red onion both work well in this chicken tortilla soup.
Celery — This adds extra flavor and texture to the soup. You can also add diced carrots if you like.
Garlic — Fresh garlic is best for flavor but you can also use frozen garlic.
Jalapeño — Adjust the amount of jalapeño to suit your taste. Deseed the jalapeño if you don't want the soup to be too fiery.
Salsa verde — Also known as green enchilada sauce, salsa verde is often made with tomatillos, coriander and chili peppers. It's a perfect flavor base for tortilla soup.
Sweetcorn — Both canned and frozen sweetcorn work in this soup.
Black beans — Black beans work great in tortilla soup, but you can also use red kidney beans or pinto beans.
Chicken — For this soup, I prefer to use chicken breast as it's the leanest cut. If you prefer darker meat, chicken thighs are a great option.
It would also be delicious with leftover turkey, roast chicken, or rotisserie chicken. If you want to use frozen chicken, add 5 more minutes to the cooking time.
Chicken broth — Use a good quality chicken broth for the best flavor.
How to make tortilla soup in the Instant Pot
Add the garlic and jalapeño and continue to cook for another minute.
Place the chicken breast on top and cover everything with the chicken stock.
Secure the lid and turn the valve to "Sealing." Set the Instant Pot to "Pressure Cooking" for 15 minutes.
When the time is up, carefully remove the cooked chicken and place it on a plate. Shred it with two forks and add it back to the soup.
Stir in the fresh lime juice and fresh cilantro and season to taste.
Serve hot with tortilla strips on top or with tortilla chips on the side.
Best toppings for Mexican tortilla soup
The tortilla strips in the pics are made by cutting some corn tortillas with a sharp knife and baking them for 5 minutes in a pre-heated oven.
You can also use shop-bought crispy tortilla strips or tortilla chips.
For extra flavor and texture, top your tortilla soup with some chopped avocado, diced tomatoes, and a dollop of sour cream.
Other great topping ideas include lots of freshly chopped cilantro, lime wedges, sliced jalapeño peppers and shredded cheese.
Make it on the stovetop
To make this chicken tortilla soup on the stovetop, use a large pot or a Dutch oven and follow the same directions regarding sautéing and adding the rest of the ingredients.
Simmer for 20 minutes on medium-low heat covered with a pot.
Leftovers and storage
- The soup will keep well in the fridge for up to 3 days in an airtight container. Leftovers taste amazing and make an excellent lunch.
- Reheat the soup in the microwave or on the stovetop until piping hot.
- Tortilla soup freezes well for up to 3 months. Thaw it overnight in the fridge before reheating.
Recipe notes and tips
- Sauté your aromatics (onion, garlic, jalapeño) in the Instant Pot before adding the rest of the ingredients. This step ensures maximum flavor for the soup.
- Add plenty of fresh toppings like cilantro, diced avocado, and shredded cheese to individual bowls before serving.
- I used a 6-quart Instant Pot to make this soup.
If you liked this Instant Pot chicken tortilla soup, you might also like some of my other easy Instant Pot soups:
- Instant Pot Beef Barley Soup
- Instant Pot Chicken Taco Soup
- Instant Pot Vegan Wild Rice and Mushroom Soup
- Instant Pot Chicken and Rice Soup
- Instant Pot Chicken Gnocchi Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion diced
- 2-3 celery stalks, diced
- 2 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
- ½ small jalapeño, finely chopped
- 1 teaspon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon mild chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 can (14 oz / 400 g) crushed tomatoes
- ½ cup (100 ml) salsa verde
- ½ cup (50 g) sweetcorn
- 1 can (14 oz / 400 g) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 chicken breasts ( about ¾ lb or 350 g)
- 4 cups (1 litre) chicken stock
- Juice of half a lime
- A handful fresh cilantro (coriander), for garnishing
- Tortilla strips to serve
- Set the Instant Pot to “Sauté” and add the olive oil, onion and celery. Cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the garlic and jalapeño and continue to cook for another minute.
- Stir in the ground cumin, chili powder and dried oregano.
- Add the crushed tomatoes, salsa verde, sweetcorn and black beans and stir to combine.
- Place the chicken breast on top and cover everything with the chicken stock.
- Secure the lid and turn the valve to “Sealing”. Set the Instant Pot to “Pressure Cooking” for 15 minutes.
- When the time is up, carefully remove the chicken an place it on a plate. Shred it with two forks and add it back to the soup.
- Stir in the lime juice and fresh cilantro and season to taste.
- Serve hot with tortilla strips on top or with tortilla chips on the side.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 345Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 58mgSodium: 498mgCarbohydrates: 38gFiber: 5gSugar: 19gProtein: 29g
Nutritional information is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator.