This Instant Pot chicken and rice soup will warm your soul. It's super easy to make with simple ingredients so you can have a comforting bowl of soup in your hands in just 30 minutes.
Few things are as comforting and cozy as a hot bowl of chicken soup. Bonus points if you can have it ready quickly on those days you're feeling under the weather.
This Instant Pot chicken and rice soup features a delicious mix of nutritious vegetables, lean chicken and wild rice. It's a healthy, warming soup that's just perfect for chilly days.
I like to make it with skinless chicken breast, but if you want fattier, darker meat, you can use chicken thighs instead.
Even though it's made in the Instant Pot, this soup tastes just like something that's been simmering on the stovetop for hours.
Why you'll love this Instant Pot chicken and rice soup
- It's super easy to make with just a handful of staple ingredients.
- You can add other veggies or use a different type of rice to make this soup your own.
- It's the perfect bowl of comfort food for those days when you've been feeling under the weather.
What goes into this chicken rice soup
Olive oil - You can use a mix of olive oil and a bit of butter to saute the veggies in.
Onion, carrot and celery - This mix of veggies is the perfect flavor base for this chicken and wild rice soup. If you want to be able to feel chunks of carrot or celery in the soup, dice them larger.
Chicken breast - Cut the chicken breast into 1-inch pieces. You can also substitute with boneless chicken thighs or turkey breast.
Garlic - Freshly chopped garlic is always best in soups.
Herbs - Both fresh and dried thyme and rosemary are good choices in this chicken wild rice soup.
Rice - I used a wild rice blend, which is easier to find and more affordable than 100% wild rice. Long white rice or brown rice are other great choices.
Chicken broth - You can use homemade or shop-bought chicken stock in this soup.
Fresh parsley - Add some freshly chopped parsley at the end for extra brightness and flavor.
How to make chicken and rice soup in Instant Pot
Set the Instant Pot to "Saute" and heat the olive oil. Add the onion, carrot and celery ribs and cook for 2-3 minutes until the veggies are slightly softened.
Add the chicken breast and cook for 3-4 minutes until sealed.
Stir in the garlic, thyme and rosemary and cook for another minute.
Turn off the "Saute" function and add the rice and chicken stock.
Secure the lid on the Instant Pot, turn the valve to "Sealing," and cook for 5 minutes on High Pressure.
When the time is up, allow the Instant Pot to release the pressure naturally for 5 minutes, then carefully turn the valve to "Venting" to release the rest of the pressure.
Remove the lid and stir in the fresh parsley. Season to taste and serve immediately.
Leftovers and storage
- Leftovers will keep well in the fridge for up to 3 days in an airtight container.
- Reheat the soup on the stovetop or in the microwave. The rice will continue to soak up the liquid, so you may need to add some chicken stock or water when reheating.
- I don't recommend freezing soup that already has rice in it.
Recipe notes and tips
- Leftover rotisserie chicken or leftover turkey are other types of meat you can use to make this chicken and wild rice soup. If using already cooked chicken, you can add it at the end.
- You can add other veggies to this soup, like broccoli, sweet potatoes, mushrooms or peas.
- Make this chicken and rice soup creamy by stirring in ½ cup heavy cream (double cream) after you open the lid.
If you liked this Instant Pot chicken and rice soup, you might also like some of my other easy Instant Pot recipes:
- Instant Pot Zuppa Toscana
- Instant Pot Minestrone Soup
- Easy Instant Pot Irish Stew
- Instant Pot Chicken Gnocchi Soup
- Instant Pot Beef Barley Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 medium carrot, diced
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 1 lb (450 g) chicken breast, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 cup (150 g) wild rice mix
- 6 cups (1.5 liter) chicken stock
- ¼ cup fresh parsley, chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1. Set the Instant Pot to “Sauté” and heat the olive oil. Add the onion, carrot and celery ribs and cook for 2-3 minutes until the veggies are slightly softened.
2. Add the chicken breast and cook for 3-4 minutes until sealed. Stir in the garlic, thyme and rosemary and cook for another minute.
3. Turn off the “Sauté” function and add the rice and chicken stock. Secure the lid on the Instant Pot, turn the valve to “Sealing,” and cook for 5 minutes on High Pressure.
4. When the time is up, allow the Instant Pot to release the pressure naturally for 5 minutes, then carefully turn the valve to “Venting” to release the rest of the pressure.
5. Remove the lid and stir in the fresh parsley. Season to taste and serve immediately.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 411Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 107mgSodium: 701mgCarbohydrates: 27gFiber: 2gSugar: 8gProtein: 47g
Nutritional information is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator.