Incredibly easy to make, these coconut cookies contain mixed nuts and are lower in sugar than regular cookies. This coconut cookies recipe is a great choice for those moments when you want a treat, and you want it now.
Sometimes I get off my chair where I type away for my job, go to the kitchen, and simply feel like whipping up a batch of cookies. These coconut cookies are so easy to make and they don't require refrigeration for the dough, so they are the perfect contender for a sweet treat you can have with your coffee or a glass of milk in under 45 minutes, including cooling time.
I tried to make this recipe for coconut cookies with chocolate chips, but I feel that the extra ingredient brings on too much sweetness and somehow distracts from the coconut. So I settled for just coconut and mixed nuts.
What kind of mixed nuts, you ask. The combination that I like best is almonds, Brazil nuts, walnuts, and peanuts. You only need a bit of each, and you can of course mix and match to add the nuts you like best. I tried it once with pecan nuts, and it was just fine, so basically any kind of nuts you like most will do, but my advice is to use at least three kinds to retain that element of surprise when you bite into a cookie.
What do you need to make coconut cookies with mixed nuts?
Besides nuts and sugar, you'll also need:
- Plain flour
- Vanilla essence
- Baking soda
- Desiccated coconut
- Unsalted butter (softened)
How do you make the cookies?
As I said, these cookies are so easy to make, you can have them on your table in 45 minutes. You will need a hand mixer to make them quickly.
I like to roast the nuts before chopping them, as I find this adds a subtle flavor to the cookies, as opposed to just using raw nuts. To roast the nuts, heat up an empty pan, and once it's hot, add the nuts and roast them for 2-3 minutes, stirring from time to time, being careful not to burn them.
This recipe calls for desiccated coconut, but you can substitute it with flaked coconut, which you may also want to toast.
- 150 g (¾ cup) white sugar
- 150 g (¾ cup) dark brown sugar
- 225 g unsalted butter, softened
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 350 g (2 ½ cups) plain flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 200 g (1 cup) desiccated coconut
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 150 g (1 cup) mixed nuts, walnuts, peanuts, almonds, and Brazil nuts or any combination you prefer
- Preheat the oven at 180 degrees C / 375 F.
- Mix the white sugar, brown sugar, butter, vanilla and eggs with a hand mixer until smooth.
- In another bowl, mix the flour, salt, and baking soda. Add this to the sugar mixture and make sure it's well blended.
- Incorporate the coconut and nuts. The dough might be sticky, but that's ok.
- Form the cookies and place them on a lined baking sheet. The recipe yields approximately 24 cookies.
- Bake at 180C/375 F for 10 minutes or until golden brown.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 252Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 36mgSodium: 124mgCarbohydrates: 30gFiber: 2gSugar: 16gProtein: 4g
Nutritional information is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator.