This chunky zucchini soup with white beans comes together in just about 40 minutes, and it's just the perfect veggie meal for Meatless Mondays, or simply on those days you have too many zucchini on hand. It's also super easy to customise and great for meal prep!
Want to Save This Recipe?
Enter your email and I'll send it straight to your inbox. Plus, get great new recipes from me every week!
However, nowhere do zucchini shine better than in a soup! Most zucchini soup recipes out there are creamy, but I personally like chunky soups better, and zucchini are some of the best veggies to use in them.
This chunky zucchini soup is just perfect for summer when zucchini are in season, and you may have lots of them on your hands.
Besides being an excellent way to get your five a day, this soup also has loads of protein from the beans!
Why you'll love this chunky zucchini soup
- This is the perfect meal prep recipe that's loaded with nutritious veggies and protein from the beans.
- It's my favourite thing to cook during zucchini season or whenever I have too many zucchini on hand.
- You can easily switch up the veggies based on whatever you have on hand. This is the kind of soup that you can make when you clean out the fridge.
What goes into zucchini soup
Leek — The flavour of leek makes an excellent base for this soup, but you can use onion instead if you like.
Carrot and celery — I like to dice the carrot and celery on the smaller side, so they cook quickly.
Garlic — I like to use freshly chopped or minced garlic in this recipe, but if all you have on hand is garlic powder, you can use some of that instead.
Red chilli flakes — Feel free to adjust the amount of red chilli flakes depending on how much kick you want the soup to have. You can also leave it out altogether.
Zucchini — Fresh zucchini are the star of this soup. I typically use 2-3 medium zucchini here but feel free to add as much as you like.
Peeling the zucchini is optional — I personally prefer to leave the skin on.
Vegetable stock — Shop-bought vegetable stock works well here, but if you have any homemade stock, it's always best to use that.
Lemon juice — This is optional, but I highly recommend it for extra brightness.
Basil leaves — Fresh basil leaves will infuse this Italian-style zucchini soup with a robust flavour.
How to make zucchini soup with beans
Add the garlic and red chilli flakes and continue to cook for another minute.
Stir in the beans, zucchini and vegetable stock and bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes.
Stir in the lemon juice and basil leaves, season to taste and serve immediately.
Leftovers and storage
- This chunky zucchini soup is perfect for meal prep because its flavours get better with time.
- Leftovers will keep well in the fridge for up to 5 days, and you can reheat them on the stovetop or in the microwave.
- You can freeze this zucchini and bean soup for up to 3 months in a freezer-safe container. Allow the soup to thaw in the fridge overnight before reheating.
Recipe notes and tips
- Make this chunky zucchini soup even heartier by adding half a cup of ditalini or another kind of small pasta with the vegetable stock. Make sure you stir often, so the pasta doesn't stick to the bottom of the pot.
- Some other veggies you can add to this summer veggie soup include green beans, peas, broccoli and even mushrooms.
- Sprinkle some freshly grated Parmesan or vegan Parmesan on individual bowls right before serving for a bit of cheesy flavour.
If you liked this chunky zucchini soup with white beans, you might also like some of my other easy vegan soup recipes:
- Greek Chickpea Soup with Lemon (Revithia)
- Polish Sauerkraut Soup (Kapusniak)
- Vegan Harira (Moroccan Chickpea and Lentil Soup)
- Tuscan White Bean and Kale Soup (Ribollita)
- Creamy Spiced Chickpea Soup with Coconut and Lime
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium leek, white and light green parts only, sliced
- 1 medium carrot, diced
- 2-3 celery stalks, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- ¼ teaspoon red chilli flakes
- 1 x 400 g (14 oz) can haricot beans
- 450 g (1 lb) zucchini, cut into ½-inch pieces
- 1.25 litre (5 cups) vegetable stock
- Juice of half a lemon
- 8-10 fresh basil leaves
- Salt and freshly chopped garlic to taste
- Heat the olive oil in a large soup pot or Dutch oven and sauté the leek, carrot and celery for 4-5 minutes over medium heat until softened.
- Add the garlic and red chilli flakes and continue to cook for another minute.
- Stir in the beans, zucchini and vegetable stock and bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- 4. Stir in the lemon juice and basil leaves, season to taste and serve immediately.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 218Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 545mgCarbohydrates: 41gFiber: 7gSugar: 20gProtein: 8g
Nutritional information is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator.