This creamy sausage and tortellini soup is comfort in a bowl! It has crispy bits of Italian sausage and pillowy tortellini in a super flavorful broth - just perfect for warming you up on a cold night.
Few things make me feel better at the end of a busy day than a bowl of this creamy sausage and tortellini soup.
Loaded with Italian sausage, kale and tortellini, this soup is comforting, nourishing and also super easy to make.
It's a hearty and wholesome one-pot meal the entire family is sure to love. You can make it with fresh or frozen tortellini and add any veggies you like.
Why you'll love this sausage and tortellini soup
- It's very easy to make, and you'll have it on the table in just 30 minutes.
- The soup is extra comforting and filling without being too heavy.
- It's super versatile, as you can use any kind of sausage you want and use up any veggies you may have in the fridge.
What goes into this tortellini sausage soup
Italian sausage - I like to make this sausage kale tortellini soup with Italian sausage, but it's equally delicious with turkey or chicken sausage.
If you want the soup to have a bit of a kick, you can use a spicy Italian sausage.
Onion and carrot - Dice the onion and carrot on the small side, so it cooks quickly. You can also add a couple of celery stalks here.
Garlic - Freshly chopped or minced garlic is best in this sausage tortellini soup, but you can also use frozen garlic or a garlic paste if that's what you have on hand.
If you don't mind little chunks of tomato in your soup, you can also use diced tomatoes.
Chicken stock - Use low-sodium chicken stock because the sausage and tortellini are already salty.
Tortellini - I made this soup with refrigerated cheese tortellini that you can find in the fresh pasta aisle in the supermarket.
These take just 2 minutes to cook, but you can also use shelf-stable tortellini from the dry pasta aisle or even frozen tortellini.
Make sure you follow the package directions regarding cooking times.
Kale - I love to make this tortellini soup with kale, but if you're not a fan, you can use fresh spinach or collard greens instead.
Half and half (single cream) - I like to keep this soup light by using half and half (single cream), but if you want it extra creamy, you can use heavy cream (double cream) instead.
How to make creamy sausage tortellini soup
Heat the olive oil in a heavy-bottomed pot and cook the sausage for 4-5 minutes over medium heat until browned.
Break it down with your spoon as you go. Remove the sausage from the pan with a slotted spoon and set it aside.
Add the onion and carrot to the pot and cook for 5-6 minutes until softened.
Add the kale and the cooked sausage, then stir in the tortellini and cover the pot with a lid. Cook for 2 minutes for fresh tortellini or as indicated on the package for shelf-stable tortellini.
Stir in the half and half, season to taste and serve immediately.
Leftovers and storage
- This is the kind of soup that's best served immediately.
- If you do have any leftovers, store them in the fridge in an airtight container and consume them within two days.
- Reheat the leftovers on the stovetop or in the microwave. You may need to add some extra broth because the tortellini will soak up the liquid.
- I don't recommend freezing this soup.
Recipe notes and tips
- If you want to use dried tortellini in this soup, make sure you follow the instructions on the package regarding cooking times.
- Top the soup with some freshly grated parmesan right before serving.
- Use a plant-based sausage and soy cream or coconut milk to make this soup vegan.
If you liked this creamy sausage and tortellini soup, you might also like some of my other easy soup recipes:
- Kielbasa Potato Soup
- Chicken Mulligatawny Soup
- Cabbage Roll Soup
- Easy Italian Meatball Soup
- Finnish Salmon Soup (Lohikeitto)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb (450 g) Italian sausages, casings removed and cut into chunks
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 medium carrot, diced
- 2 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
- ¼ teaspoon red chili flakes
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning mix
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 cup (250 ml) tomato sauce (passata)
- 5 cups (1.25 liter) low-sodium chicken stock
- 2 cups (125 g) kale, roughly chopped
- ½ lb (250 g) cheese tortellini
- 1 cup (200 ml) half and half (single cream)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Heat the olive oil in a heavy-bottomed pot and cook the sausage for 4-5 minutes over medium heat until browned. Break it down with your spoon as you go. Remove the sausage from the pan with a slotted spoon and set it aside.
- Add the onion and carrot to the pot and cook for 5-6 minutes until softened.
- Stir in the garlic, red chili flakes and Italian seasoning mix and continue to cook for another minute.
- Next, add the tomato paste, passata, and chicken stock. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the kale and the cooked sausage, then stir in the tortellini and cover the pot with a lid. Cook for 2 minutes for fresh tortellini or as indicated on the package for shelf-stable tortellini.
- Stir in the half and half, season to taste and serve immediately.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 497Total Fat: 30gSaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 20gCholesterol: 73mgSodium: 762mgCarbohydrates: 32gFiber: 3gSugar: 7gProtein: 25g
Nutritional information is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator.