This easy one pot chicken and rice is a simple, budget-friendly dinner made with staple ingredients. It's extra flavorful, satisfying, and just the perfect thing to cook on a busy weeknight.
I'm a massive fan of meals that come together in one pot with minimal effort, and this easy one pot chicken and rice is definitely one of them.
Even though this is a quick and easy meal, it doesn't sacrifice flavor. It has Spanish vibes from the smoked paprika, and you can even make it a bit spicy if your family is into that.
This one pot chicken and rice works well with lean chicken breast or juicy thighs, and it's quite versatile - you can add bacon, chorizo or even shrimp to make it heartier.
Why you'll love this one pot chicken and rice
- It's very easy to make in one pot so cleaning up is a breeze.
- It's budget-friendly and uses only staple ingredients.
- It's a balanced meal for a weeknight as it has a good mix of protein, veggies and carbs.
What goes into this Spanish chicken and rice
Olive oil - You can use a bit of butter instead of olive oil to saute the chicken if you want a creamier base for your chicken and rice pot.
Chicken - Both chicken breast and thighs are perfect in this recipe. Opt for chicken thighs if you want the meat to have more fat and be juicier.
Onion - You can use yellow or red onion in this recipe.
Bell pepper - Use any color of bell pepper you want in this chicken rice recipe.
Garlic - Freshly chopped garlic is always best for flavor, but if you don't have any, use jarred or frozen garlic instead.
Spices - I use a mix of smoked paprika, dried oregano and dried thyme in this one pot chicken rice. This combination gives the meal a Spanish vibe, but you can definitely play with the spices to make it your own. Ideas include ground cumin, red chili powder and celery salt.
Tomato paste - Feel free to add more tomato paste if you want your chicken and rice to have a more pronounced tomato flavor.
Rice - Long grain rice such as basmati rice or jasmine rice is best in this recipe. You can also use brown rice, but the cooking time may be longer. Don't use risotto rice because it's too starchy for this recipe.
Chicken stock - It's best to use low-sodium chicken stock in this recipe and then adjust the seasoning as needed.
How to make one pot chicken rice
When the chicken is cooked through and lightly golden, add the onion and bell pepper and continue to cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Next, add the rice and chicken stock and stir to combine.
Bring to a boil, then lower the heat, cover with a lid, and simmer for 20 minutes until the rice is cooked. Add more chicken stock if it looks too dry.
Stir in the fresh parsley, season to taste and serve immediately.
Leftovers and storage
- This chicken and rice dish is best served immediately. If you have leftovers, they will keep well in the fridge for up to 3 days in an airtight container.
- Reheat the leftovers in the microwave until piping hot.
- You can freeze this dish for up to 3 months. Allow it to cool, then freeze it in an airtight container. Defrost it in the fridge overnight before reheating.
Recipe notes and tips
- You can make this recipe veggie by using chickpeas instead of chicken and using vegetable broth instead of chicken broth.
- If you want to use brown rice, you'll need to cook the dish for 10-15 minutes more.
- Use chopped jalapeño or red chili flakes to give this chicken and rice dish a bit of a kick.
- Make this a creamy chicken recipe by stirring in some creme fraiche or heavy cream.
- Alternatively, add some lemon juice at the end for extra brightness.
If you liked this one pot chicken rice, you might also like some of my other easy rice recipes:
- Instant Pot Chicken Fajita Rice
- Risi e Bisi (Italian Rice and Peas)
- Instant Pot Vegan Wild Rice and Mushroom Soup
- Instant Pot Stuffed Pepper Soup
- Easy Paneer Biryani
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb (450 g) chicken breast, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 small red bell pepper, diced
- 1 small yellow bell pepper, diced
- 2 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 ½ cup (300 g) long grain rice
- 3 ½ cups (900 ml) chicken stock
- ¼ cup fresh parsley, chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Heat the olive oil in a large, deep pan or Dutch oven and cook the chicken for 5-6 minutes over medium heat.
- When the chicken is cooked through and lightly golden, add the onion and bell pepper and continue to cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the garlic and cook for another minute, then stir in the smoked paprika, dried oregano, dried thyme and tomato paste.
- Next, add the rice and chicken stock and stir to combine. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat, cover with a lid, and simmer for 20 minutes until the rice is cooked. Add more chicken stock if it looks too dry.
- Stir in the fresh parsley, season to taste and serve immediately.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 452Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 103mgSodium: 471mgCarbohydrates: 36gFiber: 3gSugar: 7gProtein: 44g
Nutritional information is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator.