This Instant Pot lasagna is the easiest way to enjoy a delicious, cozy, cheesy meal with almost zero effort. It’s a lazy lasagna recipe made just a bit lighter but still filled with all the classic flavors of this beloved family dish.
This Instant Pot lasagna recipe is the perfect way to enjoy all the delicious flavors of traditional lasagna without any of the hassle.
My recipe is a little lighter than most but still packed with all the cheesy goodness you know and love.
One of the best things about making lasagna in the Instant Pot is how hands-off it is.
Once you add all the ingredients to the pot and set the timer, you can sit back and relax while the Instant Pot does all the work. It's the perfect recipe for busy weeknights or lazy Sundays.
Plus, this Instant Pot lasagna recipe is incredibly versatile. You can easily customize it to your liking by adding your favorite vegetables or swapping out the ground beef for ground turkey or chicken.
Why you’ll love this Instant Pot lasagna
- It's super quick and easy to make. You can have a delicious lasagna dinner on the table in under an hour.
- You can easily customize the lasagna with your favorite ingredients, from classic meat and cheese to vegetarian and vegan options.
- The leftovers taste incredible! The flavors have time to intensify as the dish sits, making for a delicious lunch or dinner the next day.
What goes into it?
Olive oil — You’ll need a bit of extra virgin olive oil to sauté the onions and beef. You can substitute it with any other vegetable oil that you prefer.
Onion — Both yellow and red onions are great in this recipe. You can use shallots instead of onions if you prefer.
Lean ground beef — I used lean ground beef with 5% fat in this recipe. You can use ground turkey, chicken, or pork instead if you prefer. Italian sausage is another great idea.
Garlic — You can use garlic powder instead if you don't have fresh garlic on hand.
Italian herbs mix — Italian herbs mix is a blend of dried herbs commonly used in Italian cuisine, including basil, oregano, and thyme. You can use a combination of these herbs if you don't have an Italian herbs mix.
Beef stock — I love the flavor of beef broth in this recipe, but you can use vegetable or chicken broth instead.
Ricotta cheese adds creaminess to the dish. You can use cottage cheese instead if you prefer.
Low-fat mozzarella cheese — I use this to top the lasagna and make it extra cheesy like the traditional version. You can use regular mozzarella cheese if you like.
How to make Instant Pot lazy lasagna
Add the lean ground beef and cook until browned.
Add the tomato sauce (passata) to the pot and stir well to combine with the meat sauce. Turn off the sauté function.
Next, add the pasta to the pot, pour the beef stock over it and stir well.
Close the Instant Pot lid, set the valve to sealing, and set the pressure cooking time to 4 minutes on high pressure.
Once the cooking time is complete, allow for a natural pressure release for 5 minutes, then manually release any remaining pressure.
Open the Instant Pot lid, stir in the ricotta cheese and adjust the seasoning.
Sprinkle the mozzarella on top, then place the lid back on for 5 minutes, so the cheese melts in the residual heat.
Sprinkle the fresh parsley (or fresh basil) on top and serve hot.
Leftovers and storage
- Allow the lasagna to cool completely and store it in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
- To reheat, microwave individual servings of lasagna for 1-2 minutes or until heated through.
- You can freeze this lasagna for up to 3 months. To reheat, thaw in the fridge overnight, then reheat in the oven or microwave as directed above.
Recipe notes and tips
- You can use regular lasagna sheets instead of mafalda corta pasta, but break them into smaller pieces to fit better in the Instant Pot.
- If you're vegetarian, you can omit the ground beef and use an equal amount of diced vegetables like mushrooms, zucchini, or eggplant instead.
- You can add extra cheese or some grated Parmesan cheese on top of the mozzarella for an extra cheesy kick.
- Serve with a side salad or some garlic bread for a complete meal.
- For a gluten-free version, use gluten-free pasta and beef stock.
If you liked this Instant Pot lasagna recipe, you might also like some of my other easy Instant Pot recipes:
- Instant Pot Jambalaya
- Instant Pot Chicken Curry
- Instant Pot Chicken Fajita Rice
- Instant Pot Beef Barley Soup
- Instant Pot Chana Masala (Chickpea Curry)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 lb (450 g) lean ground beef
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- ½ tablespoon Italian herbs mix
- ¼ tablespoon red chili flakes
- 3 cup (700 ml) tomato sauce (passata)
- 1 lb (450 g) mafalda corta pasta
- 2 cups (500 ml) beef stock
- ½ cup (100 g) ricotta cheese
- ½ cup (100 g) low-fat mozzarella
- 1 handful fresh parsley, roughly chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Set the Instant Pot to sauté mode and add the olive oil to the pot. Once hot, add the diced onion and sauté until soft and translucent, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add the lean ground beef and cook until browned. Next, stir in the chopped garlic, Italian herbs mix, and red chili flakes, and cook for an additional 1-2 minutes.
- Add the tomato sauce (passata) to the pot and stir well to combine with the beef mixture. Turn off the sauté function.
- Next, add the pasta to the pot, pour the beef stock over it and stir well.
- Close the Instant Pot lid, set the valve to sealing, and set the pressure cooking time to 4 minutes on high pressure.
- Once the cooking time is complete, allow for a natural pressure release for 5 minutes, then manually release any remaining pressure.
- Open the Instant Pot lid, stir in the ricotta cheese and adjust the seasoning.
- Sprinkle the mozzarella on top, then place the lid back on for 5 minutes, so the cheese melts in the residual heat.
- Sprinkle the fresh parsley on top and serve hot.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 422Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 81mgSodium: 640mgCarbohydrates: 35gFiber: 4gSugar: 6gProtein: 34g
Nutritional information is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator.