A creamy vegetarian white chili that's ready in 30 minutes, this recipe is on the fast track of becoming one of my favourite quick dinners. It's a simple yet comforting meal that's perfect for a busy weeknight and super easy to make vegan, too.
Want to Save This Recipe?
Enter your email and I'll send it straight to your inbox. Plus, get great new recipes from me every week!
This creamy vegetarian white chili is one of the easiest and most comforting meals that I've had on rotation in my kitchen for quite a while. It has all the perfect ingredients to provide you with a cozy bowl of goodness to dip your tortilla chips in, plus lots of flavour from the garlic, fresh green chili, and lime juice.
I like to make this white chili with sour cream, but that's the only ingredient that separates it from vegan chili recipes. Simply skip the sour cream at the end, and you'll have a delicious vegan white chili instead.
This white veggie chili only takes 30 minutes to make and the prep time is minimal. So if you're like me and love quick and easy dinner recipes that are still delicious, this creamy chili should be right up your alley.
What ingredients do you need?
Beans — I use canned cannellini beans to make this white chili because it's so convenient. But you can also use dry beans that you've presoaked overnight and then simmered until tender.
Sweetcorn — Any kind of sweetcorn is great for this chili. I made it with canned, frozen, and fresh corn, and it's delicious either way.
Green chili — If you don't want the chili to be too fiery, deseed the chili. You can also use jalapeño if you can get your hands on it. It's not something that I can easily find in the UK.
How do you make white veggie chili?
Stir in the flour, then add half of the vegetable stock. Stir continuously until you have a creamy paste without any lumps, then add the rest of the stock.
Add the beans and sweetcorn and simmer for 10-15 minutes. Stir in the lime juice and sour cream and season to taste. Serve with tortilla chips or cornbread and topped with extra lime wedges, sliced green chili, and a dash of sour cream if you like.
Extra recipe tips
- If you want the chili to have an even thicker texture, you can mash some of the beans with a potato masher close to the end. You can also use an immersion blender in the pot to make it even creamier.
- Extra topping ideas include chopped spring onions, chopped red onion, fresh coriander (cilantro) and avocado.
- To make this recipe vegan, you can either skip the sour cream or substitute it with cashew sour cream.
If you liked this creamy vegetarian white chili, have a look at some of my other easy vegetarian dinners:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloved, finely chopped
- 1 green chili, deseeded and finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoon plain flour
- 300 ml vegetable stock
- 2 x 400 g (14oz) cans cannellini beans
- 160 g (5.5 oz) sweetcorn, caned, frozen or fresh
- Juice of 1 small lime
- 75 ml (½ cup) sour cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, heat the olive oil and fry the onion over medium heat for 4-5 minutes until translucent.
- Add the garlic and green chili and continue to cook for another minute until fragrant. Stir in the ground cumin, oregano, and cayenne pepper and cook for 30 more seconds.
- Stir in the flour, then add half of the vegetable stock. Stir continuously until you have a creamy paste without any lumps, then add the rest of the stock.
- Add the beans and sweetcorn and simmer for 10-15 minutes. Stir in the lime juice and sour cream and season to taste. Serve with tortilla chips or cornbread and topped with extra lime wedges, sliced green chili, and a dash of sour cream if you like.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 458Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 10mgSodium: 342mgCarbohydrates: 78gFiber: 15gSugar: 13gProtein: 23g
Nutritional information is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator.