This creamy sausage and sweet potato soup is cozy, hearty and utterly delicious! Made with flavorful Italian sausage, tender sweet potatoes and coconut cream, this soup is also dairy and gluten-free.
Want to Save This Recipe?
Enter your email and I'll send it straight to your inbox. Plus, get great new recipes from me every week!
However, sometimes I want a lighter soup that's lower in carbs and more nutritious, and that's how this creamy sausage and sweet potato soup was born.
And trust me — this soup has everything: it's super flavorful and delicious, easy to make and extra filling. It's also gluten-free and dairy-free, yet creamy, thanks to the addition of coconut cream.
The soup is very easy to make in about 40 minutes, and since it's a one-pot meal, it requires minimal cleanup — just perfect for a fuss-free weeknight meal.
Why you'll love this sausage and sweet potato soup
- Hearty and comforting — This sausage and sweet potato soup is the perfect dish to warm you up on a cold day. The mix of sausage, sweet potatoes, and vegetables make it super filling and satisfying.
- Packed with flavor — The Italian sausage, Italian herbs mix, and garlic give this soup a bold and delicious flavor. And the coconut cream makes it even more irresistible!
- Versatile — You can easily make this soup your own by using a different type of sausage or adding extra veggies.
What goes into sweet potato sausage soup
Italian sausage — I made this soup with mild Italian sausage, but you can use a spicy one if you like.
For an even healthier soup, you can make it with chicken sausage or turkey sausage.
Onion — Both yellow and red onions work well in this soup. Dice it finely so it becomes translucent quickly.
Red bell pepper — I like red bell peppers for their vibrant color but you can use any color you like.
Garlic — Freshly minced or grated garlic is best in this soup; however, you can use jarred or frozen garlic, too.
Zucchini — Feel free to add or substitute different vegetables based on your preference. Some options include carrots, celery, or squash.
Sweet potato — Cut the sweet potato in 1-inch cubes so it becomes tender quickly. You can substitute with butternut squash if you like.
Chicken stock — I like to make this soup with low-sodium chicken broth but you can also use beef or vegetable broth. If you're looking to make it lighter, you can use water instead of stock.
Coconut cream — This is optional, but I highly recommend it for making the soup extra creamy. Heavy cream is another option here.
Kale — If you're not a fan of kale, baby spinach or collard greens would also work great.
How to make creamy sweet potato sausage soup
Add the Italian sausage to the pot and cook, breaking it up with a wooden spoon, until it is browned and cooked through.
In the same pot, add the diced onion and red bell pepper. Sauté until the vegetables are softened, about 5-7 minutes.
Stir in the minced garlic and Italian herbs mix and continue to cook for another minute.
Add the diced zucchini, sweet potato, and chicken stock to the pot. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and let it simmer for 15 minutes or until the sweet potatoes are tender.
Stir in the coconut cream and chopped kale. Cook for another 2-3 minutes or until the kale is wilted.
Season the soup with salt and pepper to taste and serve hot.
Leftovers and storage
- This soup can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
- To reheat the soup, transfer it to a pot on medium heat, stirring occasionally until it reaches the desired temperature. Alternatively, reheat it in the microwave.
- If the soup looks too thick, add some water or stock to thin it out when reheating.
Recipe notes and tips
- This sausage and sweet potato soup is great served with a slice of crusty bread to soak up the flavorful broth.
- If you like your soup with a bit of a kick, add some red pepper flakes or a diced jalapeno pepper when sautéing the onions and garlic.
- Add some cooked quinoa or brown rice to the soup to make it a more filling and complete meal.
If you liked this creamy sausage and sweet potato soup recipe, you might also like some of my other easy soup recipes:
- Creamy Italian Sausage Gnocchi Soup
- Avgolemono — Greek Lemon Chicken Soup
- Tuscan White Bean and Kale Soup (Ribollita)
- Creamy Potato Dill Soup
- Polish Sauerkraut Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb (450 g) Italian sausage
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 medium red bell pepper, diced
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon Italian herbs mix
- 1 medium zucchini, diced
- 1 lb (450 g) sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 6 cups (1.5 liters) chicken stock
- ½ cup (100 ml) coconut cream
- 2 cups (75 g) kale, roughly chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the Italian sausage to the pot and cook, breaking it up with a wooden spoon, until it is browned and cooked through.
- In the same pot, add the diced onion and red bell pepper. Sauté until the vegetables are softened, about 5-7 minutes.
- Stir in the minced garlic and Italian herbs mix and continue to cook for another minute.
- Add the diced zucchini, sweet potato, and chicken stock to the pot. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and let it simmer for 15 minutes or until the sweet potatoes are tender.
- Stir in the coconut cream and chopped kale. Cook for another 2-3 minutes or until the kale is wilted.
- Season the soup with salt and pepper to taste and serve hot.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 354Total Fat: 24gSaturated Fat: 13gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 50mgSodium: 702mgCarbohydrates: 47gFiber: 4gSugar: 25gProtein: 24g
Nutritional information is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator.