An easy prawn tikka masala that’s ready in under 30 minutes, this curry is full of flavour and goes down a treat on a busy weeknight. It’s a quick one-pot curry that you can serve over basmati rice or with some naan.
I love prawns and I love curry, so I’m not sure how I haven’t posted this prawn tikka masala recipe yet. When it comes to curries, my main jam is quick but still aromatic, and this prawn masala ticks both boxes.
This is the perfect curry to try if you want something quick for a busy weeknight or when you really want a satisfying curry without ordering a takeaway. Plus, you can make it with frozen prawns if you like. I always have some in the freezer for those moments when I want a quick dinner but don’t have time to go to the shops.
What do you need for this prawn tikka?
I won’t claim that this prawn curry masala is an authentic recipe — just like some of my other curries, such as the Easy Salmon Thai Green Curry or Halloumi Tikka Masala, it uses shop-bought curry paste for convenience.
I use a Pataks Tikka Masala Paste Pot in this recipe, which is the equivalent of about 3 tablespoons if you have a large jar of tikka masala paste.
King prawns are great in this curry, but you can use whatever type you have on hand. If you want to use frozen prawns, defrost them quickly in a bowl of water. It only takes about 15 minutes to defrost them, and then you can use it just as you would with fresh prawns.
How do you make the curry?
This is a one-pot curry, which means you don’t have to marinate the prawns with spices beforehand. It all goes in in the same pan, so you can have a delicious, aromatic curry on the table in under 30 minutes.
Start by heating the oil in a large pan on medium heat. When it’s hot, add the onion and fry for 1-2 minutes until softened. Stir in the garlic and ginger and cook for another minute until fragrant.
Add the prawns to the pan and cook them for 4-5 minutes until they turn pink. They don’t need to be fully cooked at this point.
Stir in the curry paste, tomato puree, chopped tomatoes, and brown sugar. Add 100 ml of water, stir to combine, then lower the heat. Cook for 4-5 minutes until the sauce thickens.
Next, stir in the desiccated coconut and cook for another minute. Add the double cream and chopped coriander and stir to combine. Serve with basmati rice or naan bread.
Recipe tips & tricks
- You can substitute the desiccated coconut with ground almonds.
- If you want to make this curry dairy-free, use coconut milk instead of double cream.
- The base curry sauce is also excellent for chicken tikka masala. Just use diced chicken breast instead of prawns and cook them for 8-10 minutes before continuing with the rest of the recipe.
- This prawn tikka masala goes great with plain basmati rice or naan bread (or both, if you’re quite hungry).
If you liked this easy prawn tikka masala recipe, check out some of my other quick and easy curry recipes:
- 1 tbsp rapeseed oil
- 1 large onion, very finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp ginger, finely chopped
- 400 g (14 oz) king prawns
- 3 tbsp tikka masala curry paste
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 x 400g (14 oz) chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 tbsp brown sugar
- 100 ml (3.4 fl oz) water
- 3 tbsp desiccated coconut
- 50 ml (1.7 fl oz) double cream
- Heat the oil in a large pan on medium heat. When it's hot, add the onion and fry for 1-2 minutes until softened. Stir in the garlic and ginger and cook for another minute until fragrant.
- Add the prawns to the pan and cook them for 4-5 minutes until they turn pink. They don't need to be fully cooked at this point.
- Stir in the curry paste, tomato puree, chopped tomatoes and brown sugar. Add 100 ml of water, stir to combine, then lower the heat. Cook for 4-5 minutes until the sauce thickens.
- Next, stir in the dessicated coconut and cook for another minute. Add the double cream and chopped coriander and stir to combine. Serve with basmati rice or naan breads.
Amount Per Serving Calories 276Total Fat 12gSaturated Fat 5gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 6gCholesterol 233mgSodium 1157mgCarbohydrates 15gFiber 2gSugar 8gProtein 27g
Nutritional information is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator.