Smoky, comforting and filling are three words that best define this lentil chorizo soup. Serve a bowl of this hearty soup with a chunk of crusty bread for a super cozy and nutritious meal.
Want to Save This Recipe?
Enter your email and I'll send it straight to your inbox. Plus, get great new recipes from me every week!
Lentils have been a staple in my kitchen for years, and this lentil chorizo soup is one of the first things I ever cooked from scratch.
Over the years, I perfected the recipe to get just the right flavors and texture. I personally like it very thick, almost stew-like, but you can adjust the consistency as you like.
Why you’ll love this Spanish lentil soup with chorizo
- Super hearty and flavorful — The mix of smoky chorizo and nutritious lentils makes this a hearty and satisfying meal.
- Easy to make your own — Whether you prefer your lentil soup thicker or more broth-based or you want to add extra veggies, this recipe is very easy to adapt.
- Budget-friendly — The soup requires a handful of ingredients that won’t break the bank.
What you’ll need
Chorizo — This is the star ingredient that gives the soup its signature smoky flavor. Use mild or spicy chorizo and adjust the quantity to your liking.
Onion, carrot and celery — The nutritional and flavor base of the soup; I like to cut them smaller so they cook quickly.
Red bell pepper — This adds a vibrant color and extra sweetness to the chorizo lentil soup. You can use whatever color you prefer.
Aromatics — Garlic, smoked paprika, and fresh thyme infuse the soup with loads of flavor. Freshly crushed garlic is always best.
Tomato paste — Use double or triple-concentrated tomato paste to add depth and richness to the soup.
Lentils — Both green lentils and brown lentils work well in this soup. Red lentils won’t be a good fit because they turn to mush quickly.
Potatoes — Adding some potatoes to the soup enhances the texture and makes it more filling. You can also use sweet potatoes if you like.
How to make lentil chorizo soup
In the same pot, add the onion, carrot, celery stalks and red bell pepper. Cook for 8-10 minutes until softened, stirring from time to time.
Stir in the garlic, smoked paprika, and fresh thyme, and cook for another minute.
Next, add the tomato paste, stir to combine, and cook for a further minute.
Add the green lentils, potatoes, chicken stock and bay leaves. Return the cooked chorizo to the pot. Bring the mixture to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer for 30 minutes or until the lentils are tender.
- Make sure you rinse the lentils thoroughly before adding them to the pot to remove any debris.
- If the soup becomes too thick as the lentils cook, add more chicken stock to adjust the consistency.
Substitutions and variations
- Make this lentil chorizo soup vegan by using a plant-based sausage and vegetable stock instead of chicken stock.
- Add a splash of dry red wine after the tomato paste for some extra flavor.
- Boost the nutrition of the soup by adding spinach or kale towards the end of cooking.
What to serve with lentil chorizo soup
- I absolutely love a chunk of crusty bread with this soup! Garlic bread or some simple toast are also great accompaniments.
- Transform this lentil soup into an even more balanced meal by serving it with a simple green salad.
- Add a dollop of sour cream to individual bowls for extra creaminess. If you use spicy chorizo, this will also balance the heat.
Leftovers and storage
- This soup tastes even better the next day and it will keep well for 3-4 days in the fridge.
- Reheat it gently on the stovetop or in the microwave.
- To freeze the soup, allow it to cool completely and transfer to freezer-friendly containers or bags.
If you liked this lentil chorizo soup recipe, you might also like some of my other delicious soup recipes:
- Easy Chickpea Soup
- Creamy Tuscan Chickpea Soup
- Chicken Alfredo Tortellini Soup
- Beef Stroganoff Soup
- Turkey Wild Rice Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ lb (225 g) chorizo sausage, sliced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 medium carrot, diced
- 2-3 celery stalks, diced
- 1 medium red bell pepper, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 10.5 oz (300 g) green lentils
- ½ lb (225 g) potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 6 cups low-sodium chicken stock
- 2 bay leaves
- A handful of fresh parsley, roughly chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Heat the olive oil over medium heat in a large pot or Dutch oven and cook the chorizo for 3-4 minutes until slightly crispy. Remove the chorizo from the pot with a slotted spoon and set it aside.
- In the same pot, add the onion, carrot, celery stalks and red bell pepper. Cook for 8-10 minutes until softened, stirring from time to time.
- Stir in the garlic, smoked paprika, and fresh thyme, and cook for another minute.
- Next, add the tomato paste, stir to combine, and cook for a further minute.
- Add the green lentils, potatoes, chicken stock and bay leaves. Return the cooked chorizo to the pot. Bring the mixture to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer for 30 minutes or until the lentils are tender.
- Stir in the fresh parsley, season to taste and serve hot with your favorite crusty bread.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 330Total Fat: 17gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 33mgSodium: 806mgCarbohydrates: 26gFiber: 6gSugar: 5gProtein: 19g
Nutritional information is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator.