This easy anchovy and tuna pasta is not only bursting with flavour, but also extremely simple to make with just a handful of staple ingredients. Make this healthy tuna pasta in just 15 minutes for a speedy lunch or light dinner.
I practically live for easy pasta recipes, and they’re the only thing I cook no matter how I feel. A bowl of homemade pasta can lift my spirits and even when I’m sick, I still get out of bed to make some pasta, as it’s the only thing I want to eat. I sometimes suspect I might’ve been Italian in another life.
This super easy anchovy and tuna pasta is one of my favourites, and I can make it with my eyes closed. It’s incredibly simple to make, but it doesn’t skimp on flavour. It’s also quite healthy and it comes under 300 calories per serving.
What do you need to make canned tuna pasta?
Pasta with canned tuna is just the best because I always have at least a couple of cans in my pantry, so when I don’t know what to cook, I make this tuna pasta, and I never hear any complaints, just requests for seconds. Tuna in oil is best here — just make sure you drain it well.
I also add anchovies to the pasta as it does wonders for the flavours. It makes it a bit like pasta puttanesca, but if you don’t have anchovies handy, you can skip them. I do it sometimes and the pasta is still delicious.
The cherry tomatoes give this pasta so much freshness, but if you don’t have them, half a can of chopped tomatoes will do instead.
I make this recipe with just about any kind of olives I have in the fridge; I do like Kalamata best here, but I’ve also made it with black olives, green olives, green olives stuffed with lemons or anchovies. You name it, I’ve tried it in this recipe, and they’re all great.
How do you make it?
This healthy tuna pasta recipe couldn’t be easier to make. You can make the sauce while the pasta is boiling and everything takes about 15 minutes from start to finish.
Start by bringing a pot of water to boil, salt it generously, then cook the pasta al dente according to the instructions on the package.
Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a pan and add the garlic and red chilli flakes. Cook for 30 seconds over medium heat and then add the anchovy fillets. Continue to cook for 1-2 minutes, breaking them down with your spoon.
Add the cherry tomatoes and cook for another minute, then stir in the olives and capers. Lower the heat.
Next, stir in the cooked pasta, drained tuna, lemon juice and rocket. Toss everything well, adding a bit of pasta water if it looks too dry. Season to taste and serve with extra rocket on top if you like.
Recipe tips and tricks
- The rocket is entirely optional — if you don’t have it, just add some parsley or skip it altogether, the pasta will still be amazing.
- I use just about any kind of pasta I have at hand for this recipe. I made it with fusilli for these pics, but I also make it with spaghetti, linguine, and penne.
- This tuna pasta will keep in the fridge for about 3 days, and the best thing about it is that it tastes great cold. It’s not quite suitable for freezing, though.
If you liked this easy anchovy and tuna pasta, you might also like:
- 250 g (8.8 oz.) pasta
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp red chili flakes
- 4 anchovy fillets
- 8 cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 30 g (1 ounce) Kalamata olives, roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp capers, drained
- 2 x 140 g (5 oz)cans tuna, drained
- Rocket, a handful
- 1 lemon, juiced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cook the pasta al dente in lots of salted water and reserve some pasta water before draining.
- Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a pan and add the garlic and red chilli flakes. Cook for 30 seconds over medium heat and then add the anchovy fillets. Continue to cook for 1-2 minutes, breaking them down with your spoon.
- Add the cherry tomatoes and cook for another minute, then stir in the olives and capers. Lower the heat.
- Next, stir in the cooked pasta, drained tuna, lemon juice and rocket. Toss everything well, adding a bit of pasta water if it looks too dry. Season to taste and serve with extra rocket on top if you like.
Amount Per Serving Calories 257Total Fat 7gSaturated Fat 1gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 5gCholesterol 36mgSodium 410mgCarbohydrates 23gFiber 2gSugar 2gProtein 26g
Nutritional information is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator.