There's nothing quite like a warm bowl of chicken macaroni soup on a chilly evening to make you feel cozy and satisfied. This delicious soup has tender chicken in a herby, creamy broth, plus macaroni pasta to make it extra comforting!
Want to Save This Recipe?
Enter your email and I'll send it straight to your inbox. Plus, get great new recipes from me every week!
There's just something about a warm bowl of soup that makes you feel instantly cozy and comforted, and this chicken macaroni soup is no exception.
The tender chicken, creamy broth, and comforting pasta make for the perfect combination, and the herby flavors of thyme and rosemary add an extra layer of warmth and depth to the dish.
Plus, it's a great way to use up any leftover chicken you may have on hand, making it both practical and delicious.
Why you’ll love this chicken macaroni soup
- It's warm, comforting, and perfect for chilly evenings or those days when you feel a bit under the weather.
- The addition of cream cheese and half and half make the soup creamy while keeping things light.
- The herby/garlicky flavor of the broth is pretty much amazing!
What goes into this creamy chicken macaroni soup
Olive oil +butter — Use a mix of olive oil and butter to sauté the onions, carrots, and celery for a creamy base.
Onion, carrot and celery — These aromatic vegetables are the base of the soup and provide a savory flavor.
Garlic — Freshly minced or grated garlic is best in this soup.
Fresh herbs — Thyme and rosemary add a layer of warmth and depth to the soup.
Red chili flakes — This adds a bit of heat to the soup, but you can skip it if you’d like a mild broth.
Chicken breast — You can use boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs in this recipe. If you have leftover cooked chicken, you can use that instead to save time.
Chicken stock — This is the base of the soup and provides a rich flavor. You can use store-bought or homemade chicken stock.
Elbow macaroni — Elbow macaroni is the perfect pasta for this soup. It's small enough to fit in a spoon and adds a nice texture to the soup.
Cream cheese — Cream cheese adds a creamy texture to the soup and also helps to thicken it.
Half and half (single cream) — Half and half adds richness to the soup without making it too heavy. You can substitute it with milk, heavy cream, or coconut milk for a dairy-free version.
How to make chicken soup with macaroni
Add the onion, carrot, and celery and sauté for about 5-7 minutes until the vegetables are soft.
Add the garlic, thyme, rosemary, and red chili flakes and cook for another minute until fragrant.
Next, add the chicken breasts to the pot and pour in the chicken stock.
Bring the soup to a boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for 15-20 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through. Timings may differ depending on the size of the chicken breasts.
Remove the chicken breasts from the pot and shred them using two forks.
Add the macaroni and cook for an additional 10-12 minutes until the macaroni is tender. Make sure you stir often to prevent the pasta from sticking to the bottom of the pot.
When the pasta is al dente, add the shredded chicken back to the pot.
Season the soup with salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste and serve immediately.
Leftovers and storage
- To store leftover chicken macaroni soup, place it in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 3-4 days.
- To reheat, simply warm the soup in a pot over low heat until heated through, stirring occasionally. Alternatively, you can reheat it in the microwave.
- To freeze, allow the soup to cool completely before transferring it to a freezer-safe container. Freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator before reheating.
Recipe notes and tips
- For a lighter version, use milk instead of half and half or skip the cream cheese altogether.
- If you prefer a thicker soup, add more macaroni or reduce the amount of chicken broth.
- For a spicier kick, add more red chili flakes or a diced jalapeño pepper.
- This soup is heart enough on its own but you can also serve it with crusty bread or crackers for dipping and soaking up the delicious broth.
If you liked this chicken macaroni soup recipe, you might also like some of my other easy chicken soup recipes:
- Avgolemono — Greek Lemon Chicken Soup
- Lemon Artichoke Chicken Soup
- Green Chili Chicken Soup
- Tom Kha Gai Soup (Thai Coconut Chicken Soup)
- Chicken Mulligatawny Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 medium carrot, diced
- 2-3 celery stalks, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- ¼ teaspoon red chili flakes
- 2 chicken breasts (about ¾ lb / 350 g)
- 6 cups (1.5 liters) chicken stock
- 1 cup (100 g) elbow macaroni
- 3.5 oz (100 g) cream cheese
- 1 cup (200 ml) half and half (single cream)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Heat the olive oil and butter over medium heat in a large pot or Dutch oven.
- Add the onion, carrot, and celery and sauté for about 5-7 minutes until the vegetables are soft.
- Add the garlic, thyme, rosemary, and red chili flakes and cook for another minute until fragrant.
- Next, add the chicken breasts to the pot and pour in the chicken stock.
- Bring the soup to a boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for 15-20 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through. Timings may differ depending on the size of the chicken breasts.
- Remove the chicken breasts from the pot and shred them using two forks.
- Add the macaroni and cook for an additional 10-12 minutes until the macaroni is tender. Make sure you stir often to prevent the pasta from sticking to the bottom of the pot.
- When the pasta is al dente, add the shredded chicken back to the pot.
- Stir in the cream cheese and half and half (single cream) and stir until the cream cheese melts and the soup is heated through.
- Season the soup with salt and pepper to taste and serve immediately.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 344Total Fat: 19gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 77mgSodium: 535mgCarbohydrates: 21gFiber: 1gSugar: 7gProtein: 22g
Nutritional information is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator.