Kielbasa potato soup is creamy, comforting and utterly delicious. The crispy sausage bits pairs perfectly with the potatoes and cheesy broth for a soup that will make a perfect midweek meal!
Want to Save This Recipe?
Enter your email and I'll send it straight to your inbox. Plus, get great new recipes from me every week!
I’ve been all about testing and creating new soup recipes for the past (very cold) months, and this kielbasa potato soup has quickly become a family favourite.
After making one of the best soups I’ve ever tasted in the form of dill pickle soup, I decided to dive even deeper into Polish soups. And I wasn’t disappointed.
This cheesy sausage potato soup is true comfort in a bowl. It has everything you could want in a winter soup — crispy bits of smoked sausage, melting cheese and a garlicky white broth. Perfection doesn’t even begin to cover it!
Why you’ll love this kielbasa potato soup
- It’s a super easy one-pot recipe. I’m a massive fan of one-pot recipes, and this Polish sausage potato soup is the perfect addition to my repertoire. it all comes together in just one pot, which means less washing up - yey!
- It only takes a bit over half an hour to make. It’s just the perfect weeknight meal that will make the entire family happy.
- It’s out of this world delicious! If you’re a fan of creamy soups, you should definitely try this one. This smoked sausage soup smells so good the neighbours will wonder what you’re cooking. And have I mentioned how tasty it is? 🙂
What goes into kielbasa and potato soup?
Kielbasa sausage — Kielbasa means “sausage” in Polish, and you can use any type of Polish sausage you want for his soup. I like smoked pork kielbasa, but Polish turkey sausage is also great in this soup.
Onion, carrot and celery —Dice the veggies on the small side, so they cook quickly and evenly.
Garlic — Freshly chopped or pressed garlic is best for this soup. Frozen or jarred garlic won’t have the
Red chilli flakes — Only add red chilli flakes if you want your sausage soup to have a bit of a kick.
Potatoes — I used Maris Piper potatoes in this soup. You can use any type of boiling potato you want.
Milk — Full-fat milk is perfect for this soup. You can also use single cream (half and half) if you’d like an even creamier broth.
Cheddar cheese — It’s best to grate your own cheddar for this soup. Pre-packaged grated cheese has potato starch added, which may cause the cheese to form lumps in the soup.
How to make cheesy sausage potato soup
Add the onion, carrot and celery to the same oil you cooked the kielbasa in and cook for 5 minutes until softened.
Stir in the garlic and red chilli flakes and continue to cook for another minute until fragrant.
Add the potatoes and chicken stock to the pot and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer for 10-12 minutes, covered with a lid, until the potatoes are fork-tender.
Take a ladle of soup and mix it with the milk in a measuring jug or bowl to temper it. Pour the mixture into the pot, then add the cooked kielbasa.
Add the cheddar cheese and stir until completely melted.
Simmer the soup for 2-3 more minutes until it thickens some more, then stir in the parsley.
Season to taste, then divide into bowls and serve with extra grated cheddar on top if you like.
Leftovers and storage
- This polish sausage potato soup will keep well in the fridge for up to 3 days in an airtight container.
- You can reheat it on the stovetop or in the microwave.
- I don’t recommend freezing this soup because the milk-based broth may have an odd texture once thawed.
Recipe notes and tips
- If you want to make the soup creamier, you can mash some of the potatoes with the back of your spoon or using a potato masher.
- Feel free to add more kielbasa if you want.
- This smoked sausage soup with potatoes is super hearty on its own, but you can serve it with your favourite crusty bread.
If you liked this kielbasa potato soup, you might also like some of my other easy soup recipes:
- Finnish Salmon Soup (Lohikeitto)
- Instant Pot Stuffed Pepper Soup
- Easy Creamy Taco Soup
- Butter Bean Soup with Bacon
- Creamy Italian Sausage Gnocchi Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 300 g (10.5 oz) kielbasa sausage, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 medium carrot, diced
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon red chilli flakes
- 750 g (1 ½ lb) potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1.25 litres (5 cups) chicken stock
- 300 ml (1 ¼) full-fat milk
- 100 g (3.5 oz) cheddar cheese, grated
- 30 g (½ cup) fresh parsley, roughly chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the oil in a large pot or Dutch oven and fry the kielbasa for 4-5 minutes over medium heat until slightly crispy. Remove the sausage with a slotted spoon and set it aside.
- Add the onion, carrot and celery to the same oil you cooked the kielbasa in and cook for 5 minutes until softened.
- Stir in the garlic and red chilli flakes and continue to cook for another minute until fragrant.
- Add the potatoes and chicken stock to the pot and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer for 10-12 minutes, covered with a lid, until the potatoes are fork-tender.
- Take a ladle of soup and mix it with the milk in a measuring jug or bowl to temper it. Pour the mixture into the pot, then add the cooked kielbasa.
- Add the cheddar cheese and stir until completely melted.
- Simmer the soup for 2-3 more minutes until it thickens some more, then stir in the parsley. Season to taste, then divide into bowls and serve with extra grated cheddar on top if you like.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 491Total Fat: 27gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 15gCholesterol: 64mgSodium: 1049mgCarbohydrates: 43gFiber: 4gSugar: 10gProtein: 21g
Nutritional information is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator.