A hearty pasta e fagioli soup that’s super easy to make in the Instant Pot. This easy soup with kale, wine, and cannellini beans is ready in 30 minutes.
I’ll admit I haven’t had pasta e fagioli until this year, and god, was I missing out. I like al kinds of soups, but creamy ones are definitely my favorite.
This pasta fagioli recipe is something that you can put together in 30 minutes, perfect for those days you’re looking for a fuss-free dinner that’s also incredibly comforting.
Pasta e fagioli usually features tomatoes (think the Olive Garden variety), but this one incorporates a totally different vibe with the addition of double cream, wine, and kale.
Easy “Dump and Start” Recipe for Busy Nights
You can make it in the Instant Pot in less than 10 minutes and have it one the table in 30 (factoring in the time it takes the pressure cooker to do its thing once you’re done with the preparing).
Some tips I have for this Instant Pot pasta e fagioli recipe is to use a small variety of pasta, like elbow macaroni, for example. I don’t like my pasta to be mushy, so if you want to obtain that “al dente” result, don’t cook this for more than 5 minutes on high. Also, the wine is optional, but if you decide to use it, opt for something crisp, like a Sauvignon Blanc or a Pinot Grigio.
Is Pasta Fagioli the Same as Minestrone?
No. These soups get mixed by many people, and it’s a common mistake to make because they both contain pasta and beans. However, minestrone is almost always red from the use of tomatoes and incorporates other chunks of vegetables as well, such as courgette or squash.
Can You Freeze This Pasta e Fagioli?
As much as I would like to be able to do this in batches that I can freeze so I have some hearty pasta e fagioli ready to go, pasta is one of those things that doesn’t freeze well, especially when it’s in so much liquid. So I wouldn’t freeze this soup, but if you are adamant you want to do it, maybe make it without the pasta and add some pasta boiled separately on the day you serve it.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 175 g short pasta, elbow macaroni or similar
- 750 ml vegetable stock
- 3 cans cannellini beans, rinsed
- 125 ml white wine
- 2 tsp mixed Italian herbs
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 200 g kale, stems removed, chopped
- 75 ml double cream (heavy cream)
- 25 g Parmesan cheese, for serving, optional
- Start the "Saute" programme on your pressure cooker and set it on "high."
- Add the olive oil and chopped onions and cook until the onions are softened, stirring frequently.
- Add the chopped garlic, pasta, stock, wine, cannellini beans, mixed Italian herbs, and salt. Stir everything together.
- Close the lid of the pressure cooker and cook on "high" for 5 minutes with a quick release.
- Open the lid and stir in the kale and double cream. Season with black pepper and extra salt if needed.
- Serve hot with grated Parmesan cheese (optional).
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 573 Total Fat: 14g Saturated Fat: 6g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 6g Cholesterol: 27mg Sodium: 1255mg Carbohydrates: 84g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 16g Sugar: 5g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 28g