This Instant Pot creamy chicken soup is light, nutritious and extra comforting. It’s also ready in just 30 minutes for a bowl of deliciousness that will warm you up to the core.
Fall is the season when I start living for soups, and this Instant Pot creamy chicken soup has been one of my favorites lately.
It’s a delicious creamy soup that I lightened up by using half and half (single cream) instead of heavy cream, plus low-fat cream cheese and shredded cheddar.
The end result is a nutritious and flavorful soup that tastes just like you spent all day in the kitchen, but it’s really ready in 30 minutes.
Why you’ll love this Instant Pot creamy chicken soup
- Easy weeknight dinner — You’ll have the perfect bowl of comfort food in your hands in just 30 minutes.
- Comforting and creamy yet quite light — This low-fat chicken soup has all the goodness of a creamy soup minus the fat and extra calories.
- Budget-friendly — All the ingredients in this cheesy chicken soup are fridge and pantry staples.
What goes into this creamy chicken soup
Olive oil — You only need a splash of olive oil to saute the veggies in. For a more creamy base, use a bit of butter instead.
Onion, carrot and celery — The flavor base of any great soup!
Red pepper — This is optional but adds an extra layer of flavor to the soup. I used a pointed red pepper.
Chicken stock — Homemade or shop-bought chicken broth both work well here.
Chicken breast — I like to make this soup with chicken breast because it’s lean and low in fat. However, if you like darker meat, you can make it with boneless, skinless chicken thighs instead.
Half and half (single cream) — half and half (or single cream as it’s known in the UK) will make the soup white and creamy while keeping it quite light.
Cream cheese — I used low-fat Philadelphia cream cheese in this soup.
Cheddar cheese — A bit of shredded low-fat cheddar cheese makes the soup cheesy while keeping it light. You can substitute it with Parmesan cheese.
How to make creamy chicken soup in the Instant Pot
Set the Instant Pot to “High Pressure” for 15 minutes, then perform a Quick Release.
Take the chicken breasts out and shred them with two forks.
Stir in the half and half (single cream), cream cheese, cheddar and shredded chicken.
Add the fresh parsley, season to taste and serve immediately.
Leftovers and storage
- This soup is a great recipe to make ahead because it will keep well in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- Reheat the leftovers on the stovetop or in the microwave.
- The soup freezes well for up to 3 months in a freezer-friendly container.
Recipe notes and tips
- Stir in some baby spinach right at the end to add extra brightness and vitamins to the soup.
- The soup is quite hearty and filling on its own but you can transform it into a complete meal by serving it with your favorite crusty bread or garlic bread.
- You can skip the cream cheese and cheddar to keep it even lighter.
- Instant Pot Chicken Gnocchi Soup
- Instant Pot White Chicken Chili
- Instant Pot Beef Barley Soup
- Instant Pot Chicken Curry
- Instant Pot Chicken Taco Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 medium carrot, diced
- 3 celery stalks, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ tablespoon fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- ½ tablespoon fresh thyme, finely chopped
- ¼ teaspoon red chili flakes
- 5 cup (1.25 liter) chicken stock
- 2 chicken breasts (about ¾ lb or 350 g)
- ½ cup (100 ml) half and half (single cream)
- ½ cup (100 g) light cream cheese
- ½ cup (60 g) low-fat cheddar cheese
- A handful fresh parsley, roughly chopped
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Set the Instant Pot to “Sauté” and add the olive oil. Allow it to heat, then add the onion, carrot and celery and cook for 2-3 minutes until slightly softened.
- Add the red pepper and cook for another minute, then stir in the garlic, oregano, rosemary, thyme and red chilli flakes.
- Add the chicken stock and chicken breasts then place the lid on the Instant Pot and set the valve to “Sealing”.
- Set the Instant Pot to “High Pressure” for 15 minutes, then perform a Quick Release.
- Take the chicken breasts out and shred them with two forks.
- Stir in the half and half (single cream), cream cheese, cheddar and shredded chicken.
- Add the fresh parsley, season to taste and serve immediately.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 293Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 74mgSodium: 578mgCarbohydrates: 15gFiber: 2gSugar: 7gProtein: 28g
Nutritional information is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator.